Current:Home > NewsIndexbit Exchange:Federal judge finds city of Flint in contempt over lead water pipe crisis -Capitatum
Indexbit Exchange:Federal judge finds city of Flint in contempt over lead water pipe crisis
PredictIQ Quantitative Think Tank Center View
Date:2025-04-06 16:24:05
A federal judge has found the city of Flint in contempt for failing to comply with a court order that spelled out the steps it needed to take to finish replacing old lead pipes following the Michigan city's lead-contaminated water scandal.
U.S. District Judge David Lawson wrote in Tuesday's decision that he had found Flint in civil contempt because it had failed to meet deadlines for pipe-removal outlined in his February 2023 order. The city had originally promised to replace the pipes by early 2020.
Lawson's ruling comes after he held a June 2023 hearing on a motion seeking a contempt finding filed the previous month by the Natural Resources Defense Council, the American Civil Liberties Union of Michigan and Concerned Pastors for Social Action.
"Based on the evidence, it is apparent that the City has failed to abide by the Court's orders in several respects, and that it has no good reason for its failures," Lawson wrote. "The City has demonstrated belated compliance since the hearing, but even now, it has not actually replaced all of the lead service lines, which it originally promised to replace by March 28, 2020."
A phone message and email seeking comment on Lawson's ruling were left with Mayor Sheldon Neeley's office.
The city had agreed to replace the pipes by early 2020, but still has not completed that work, the Natural Resources Defense Council said in a news release. Also, nearly 2,000 homes still have damage to curbs, sidewalks and lawns caused by the lead pipe replacement program, the council said.
Other than offering to award attorney fees, costs and expenses to the plaintiffs, Lawson's order did not set out other specific penalties for the city if it continues to not comply with the order.
Pastor Allen C. Overton of Concerned Pastors for Social Action, one of the plaintiffs in the case, said it was encouraged by Lawson's ruling but wants to see the work finished.
"The true outcome we're seeking is for the City of Flint to succeed in finishing the lead pipe replacement program, including by finishing the overdue work of repairing damage to residents' properties caused by lead service line replacements," Overton said.
Lawson's ruling came nearly a decade after the Flint water crisis began and nearly seven years after a settlement was reached in a citizen lawsuit against the city of Flint and Michigan state officials.
- In:
- Politics
- Flint
- Michigan
veryGood! (836)
Related
- Off the Grid: Sally breaks down USA TODAY's daily crossword puzzle, Triathlon
- AI is on the world’s mind. Is the UN the place to figure out what to do about it?
- 3 adults and 2 children are killed when a Florida train strikes their SUV
- McDonald's faces another 'hot coffee' lawsuit. Severely burned woman sues over negligence
- Justice Department, Louisville reach deal after probe prompted by Breonna Taylor killing
- Fact checking 'Cassandro': Is Bad Bunny's character in the lucha libre film a real person?
- U.K. to charge 5 people suspected of spying for Russia with conspiracy to conduct espionage
- Canadian autoworkers ratify new labor agreement with Ford
- North Carolina justices rule for restaurants in COVID
- Savannah Chrisley pays tribute to ex Nic Kerdiles after fatal motorcycle crash: 'We loved hard'
Ranking
- The FBI should have done more to collect intelligence before the Capitol riot, watchdog finds
- Fact checking 'Cassandro': Is Bad Bunny's character in the lucha libre film a real person?
- William Byron withstands Texas chaos to clinch berth in Round of 8 of NASCAR playoffs
- India had been riding a geopolitical high. But it comes to the UN with a mess on its hands
- At site of suspected mass killings, Syrians recall horrors, hope for answers
- Mosquito populations surge in parts of California after tropical storms and triple-digit heat
- EU Commission blocks Booking’s planned acquisition of flight booking provider Etraveli
- RYDER CUP ’23: A look inside the walls of the 11th-century Marco Simone castle
Recommendation
Newly elected West Virginia lawmaker arrested and accused of making terroristic threats
The Sweet Reason Matthew McConaughey and Camila Alves Don't Want Their Kids to Tell Them Everything
WEOWNCOIN︱Exploring the Rise of Digital Gold in Cryptocurrency Assets
Bachelor Nation's Dean Unglert Marries Caelynn Miller-Keyes
Bodycam footage shows high
Happy Bruce Springsteen Day! The Boss turns 74 as his home state celebrates his birthday
Biden tells Zelenskyy U.S. will provide Ukraine with ATACMS long-range missiles
Third Republican presidential debate to be held in Miami on Nov. 8